Overview & Mission
CIRMMT is The Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology.
CIRMMT is a multi-disciplinary research group centred at the Schulich School of Music of McGill University. It unites researchers and their students from several Quebec institutions - McGill University, l’Université de Montréal, l’Université de Sherbrooke Concordia University, Ecole de technologie supérieure, INRS and Marianopolis College. The CIRMMT community also includes administrative and technical staff, research associates, visiting scholars, musicians, and industrial associates. CIRMMT occupies a unique position on the international stage having developed intense research partnerships with other academic and research institutions, as well as diverse industry partners throughout the world.
The CIRMMT community is interested in interdisciplinary research related to the creation of music in the composer's or performer's mind, the performance of music, its recording and/or transmission, and the reception of music by the listener. It is also interested in the ways in which vision, haptics and touch interact with music and sound. CIRMMT seeks to develop innovative approaches to the scientific study of music media and technology, to promote the application of newer technologies in science and the creative arts, and to provide an advanced research training environment.
- To undertake interdisciplinary research in the broad area of music and sound
- To develop innovative approaches to the scientific study of music, media and technology
- To promote the application of newer technologies in science and the creative and performing arts
- To provide an advanced research training environment
- To provide an internationally recognized crucible for the development of an interdisciplinary culture between artists and scientists
- To disseminate research through a variety of media
- To form partnerships with the public and para-public sectors in Quebec, Canada and internationally
- To foster knowledge and technology transfer with industrial and commercial partners